Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nuttier than Victorino

Another short one tonight. They always seem to be short when the Phillies win, but this time I actually have a good reason. I'm driving to and from Altoona tomorrow to cover a state championship baseball game, coming back to Gettysburg to type a sloppy story, then driving to Delaware for some quick zzzzz before getting up Saturday morning to drive five hours north to the Baseball Hall of Fame with my dad. Who said life had to be boring?

All I can say about tonight's game is it's good to see the Phillies win back-to-back games and score more than five runs in each of them. You've got to go all the way back to May 14-15 to find the last time they pulled that off. I almost called it a miracle just then, but these are the Phils we expect to see. This would be the perfect time to turn it all around, while they're still just 3.5 out.

It doesn't get any easier over the weekend, with Justin Morneau, Joe Mauer and the rest of the TC crew, hoping to take full advantage of the short porches at The Bank in the Philadelphia summer heat.

On a more serious note, this Hall of Fame trip with the "old man" is something we've talked about since I was a little tyke in a Little League uniform. I've really broken the bank with this Father's Day gift, but I owe my love of the best game on earth to him, and this is something I want to share with him while he's still here and healthy and before all my free time is eaten away when my wife and I decide to have children. Cooperstown is the Mecca for all fans of baseball, and the time for my pilgrimage has arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment